Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

Hello Debian support,

Last week I installed a few updates to Ubuntu 14.04. It installed the updates and then froze whilst installing Ununtu's grub. After the re-boot, Ubuntu was the only choice of O/S. No sign of Debian.

After a few hours I finally got Debian recovery to reinstall the Grub on the MBR of the SSD.

Some notes.

128GB SSD /dev/sda (GRUB finally reinstalled here)

Partions

60GB Ubuntu /dev/sda1
4GB Ubuntu swap /dev/sda8
54GB Debian 'Jessie' /dev/sda7  (unlocked)
6GB Debian swap /dev/sda6  (unlocked)

GRUB

4GB Debian GRUB /dev/sda5  (will not boot from this)
Ubuntu boot loader is installed here too.

Encrypted partitions

54GB Debian 'Jessie' /dev/mapper/sda7_crypt
6GB Debian swap /dev/mapper/sda6_crypt

TWO QUESTIONS.

1/ Can anybody explain why the Ubuntu update deleted/removed the Debian GRUB?

2/ Is there a Debian approved GRUB boot customizer? I can't find one mentioned anywhere.

Is it possible to resolve this? This would be a pain in the butt, if I had to do this at every Ubuntu update!

Thanks for your help.

Stefan

Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.