Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Tue 30 Aug 2016 at 11:18:10 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 30 Aug 2016 at 09:59:42 (-0400), Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> > However, why email is still reliable, because a proper setup provides you
> > with a well defined error messages (in case it is not delivered).
>
> There are occasions when this is several days later, unfortunately.
> Some of the retry intervals seem to have been set in the days when
> people/institutions dialled up the internet on a daily schedule.

I think you have moved from unreliability (whatever that means) to
timeliness of delivery. If you put your mail under the control of
a third party you presumably accept their conditions. Anyway, what,
without drowning the internet in frequent retries, would be suitable
as a sequence of retry intervals? Exim on Debian uses

 # This single retry rule applies to all domains and all errors. It specifies
 # retries every 15 minutes for 2 hours, then increasing retry intervals,
 # starting at 1 hour and increasing each time by a factor of 1.5, up to 16
 # hours, then retries every 6 hours until 4 days have passed since the first
 # failed delivery.

> > The fact that a lot of mail ends up in places where they are never looked
> > at is a social issue not a technical one.
>
> The unreliability of email is also overreported by people
> whose homework, years earlier, was eaten by their dog.

The canine community must feel relief that the canard has been placed
elsewhere.