Video problem

Ok, so my roommate bought an acer aspire xc-704-g. It has an intel celeron with intel HD Graphics with DDR3L sdram, shared memory. I have wiped windows and installed debian 8.5. When it reboots it goes all the way through the start up to the final sign on page but I get a blank screen with -blinking in the upper left hand corner.

I went into grub on reboot and added nomodeset and got the white screen saying OH NO! something has gone wrong notify the admin. LOL I am the admin. I also tried startx in recovery mode and got a black empty screen and a freeze.

I downloaded the drivers from debian for the intel graphics and got the latest 2.99 one. I put it on a USB and plugged it in before the install began. Either it didn't get picked up or doesn't work either. My video screen is an HP w2007 20 inch and it was working fine with the old desktop and debian wheezy but it was hooked up via VGA. I had to use a DVI converter to HDMI for this machine to hook it up.

What am I doing wrong or what can I do to get this machine up and running. Thank you for helping.
Maureen