Re: Limiting internet access by time

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 03:14:27PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Nope. Buy a $20 5-8 port ethernet switch. Very reliable. That's
> > in the diagram above as "switch".
>
> But it also means one more box.  If you had one box before, that doubles
> the number of boxes, and might also double the 24/7 power consumption.

An 8 port ethernet switch, such as the one on my desk here, is
roughly the size of a paperback book. It sips electricity, with
a maximum consumption of about 3W, and has no configuration at
all. Lifetime warranties are reasonably common.

A typical AP needs 10-20W, is a full-fledged computer running a
configurable operating system and has an expected lifetime of
1-4 years.

-dsr-