Re: Limiting internet access by time

On Fri 05 Aug 2016 at 00:02:40 +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On a stretch box I have, I want to allow access to the Internet between the
> hours of 9am and 9pm and block it between 9pm and 9am. Ideally allow local
> network access throughout but block Internet access between 9pm and 9am,
> but I can accept total network blockage in the off times if necessary.

Your ideal is achievable.

  ip route del default via <gateway_IP>

Plus a cron job.

> The machine is used as a desktop, so it is not up all the time. It might be
> brought up before 9am, in which case it should come up blocked and unblock
> at 9am, or it may be brought up after 9am, in which case it should come up
> unblocked and block if it is still up at 9pm. Time precision isn't
> important.

If it came up unblocked before 9am cron could see to it that blocking
happens.

> An ideal solution would allow dhcp updates, ntp etc to continue but block
> any normal user access eg web browsing etc.

How essential is this? cron could

  ip route add default via <gateway_IP>

at specific times between 9pm and 9am and then remove the default route.
If the machine isn't up all the time it seems unnecessary to me.