Re: More problems

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 08:05:41PM -0400, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> It starts to boot up and goes through all of the normal boot processes
> and then stales just before the final screen to sign on. All I get is
> the - flashing in the upper left hand corner.  The only message I get is
> i8042 controller not found.

So wait.  Do you get a blank screen with just a flashing cursor?
Or do you get a message that says "i8042 controller not found"?

In any case, since you seem to be saying you had visible messages on
the screen during boot, this sounds like a problem at the moment your
display manager (DM) tries to start X.  Which in turn sounds like a
non-working video driver.

Use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get back to a text console.

Disable your DM (gdm3 or lightdm or kdm or whatever it is) for now.

Try to "startx" as root.

If "startx" doesn't work, try alternative video drivers.  Repeat until
you can "startx" as root.

Then try "startx" as a non-root user.

Once THAT works, then you can re-enable your DM.