More problems

OK so now I am totally confused. I installed debian 8.5 and used the following partitions: / /boot /home /usr /usr/local/ /var /opt and /srv It starts to boot up and goes through all of the normal boot processes and then stales just before the final screen to sign on. All I get is the - flashing in the upper left hand corner. The only message I get is i8042 controller not found. This is a brand new machine and I am using an old HP monitor that I had to put an adapter on from DVI to hdmi. I have used the legacy boot from the bios. Should I change the bios back to UEFI and re-install?