Networking: unable to get multi-homed host working in Debian 8

I have read the current Debian networking docs on the subject
(https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#iproute2_method).  I
want to use at least two IPv4 static addresses on the same physical
NIC.  Following examples I have tried this in my
"/etc/network/interfaces" file:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.0.17
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.0.1
  dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222   208.67.220.220

  # add new IPv4 devices
  up     ip addr add 192.168.0.18/24 dev $IFACE label $IFACE:0
  down ip addr del  192.168.0.18/24 dev $IFACE label $IFACE:0

  up     ip addr add 192.168.0.19/24 dev $IFACE label $IFACE:1
  down ip addr del  192.168.0.19/24 dev $IFACE label $IFACE:1

Then, as root, I executed "service networking restart" and all looked
well until I logged in to another host and tried to ping the new IP
and got no good ping.

Has anyone any ideas about what I am doing wrong?  I have installed
the vlan and iproute2 packages and removed the iproute package.

Do I need to do something about kernel modules?  I saw nothing in the doc about
that, but I seem to remember having to fool with that in the old days.
.
Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

-Tom