Re: GNOME 3.20 dropped support for tap-to-click?

On Tue 02 Aug 2016 at 10:08:55 (+0200), Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016, Francois Gouget wrote:
> [...]
> > I tried some more mouse/touchpad drivers to no avail. To summarize:
> >  * xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: tap-to-click but no right click
> >  * xserver-xorg-input-libinput:  right click but no tap-to-click
>
> That should have been the opposite:
> >  * xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: right click but no tap-to-click
> >  * xserver-xorg-input-libinput:  tap-to-click but no right click
> [...]
> > So no matter what, touchpads are broken in GNOME and so far as I can
> > tell nobody cares :-(
>
> But I finally found a workaround using the synaptics driver.
>
> I don't have an xorg.conf file

# Xorg -configure
will create one for you.

> so I tried adding Michael's suggested
> settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf but that had no
> effect. Maybe the identifier string was wrong or more likely the
> configuration section just cannot stand on its own.
>
> So then I copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and added the TapButton lines to the section titled
> "Default clickpad buttons". So for me that section now reads:
>
> # This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on clickpads
> # and the right and middle top areas to be right / middle buttons on clickpads
> # with a top button area.
> # This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
>         MatchDriver "synaptics"
>         Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
>         Option "SecondarySoftButtonAreas" "58% 0 0 15% 42% 58% 0 15%"
>         Option "TapButton1" "1"
>         Option "TapButton2" "2"
>         Option "TapButton3" "3"
> EndSection
>
> And that finally got me tap-to-click with the synaptics driver, without
> breaking right-clicks. It's sad that getting such basic functionality
> working feels like a breakthrough :-(

Very sad, because all these options seem to be documented at length in
man synaptics
with a lot more gloss (and even a diagram) than is typical of man pages,
and some are even supplied as a file in the synaptics package.
Some of the options you mention are only available on clickpads and
meant nothing to me. Would I be right in thinking that this post is
the first mention of your having a clickpad?

I assume you're running stretch as I can't find a package called
xserver-xorg-input-libinput in stable. I do hope that such
"basic functionality" does not become an imposed default behaviour
in stretch just to avoid your having to apply some configuration,
sorry, workaround. For myself and many others, tap-to-click is the
bane of touchpads if you don't know how to turn it off.

Cheers,
David.