Re: Downloading and naming

On 7/31/16, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Brian Wengel wrote:
>> Are we seriously discussing floppy images? :-P
>
> As said, small is beautiful.

Oh, oh, ohhhhhh.. I went back to the thread to find a place for my
last thought. THIS is the place. I debootstrap my Debian in. On
locally provided dialup. Initial download size for a shiny, brand new
start I THINK is approximately in the mid-50's MB range.

That's floppy size IF it's a feasible option. My kneejerk is yes, it's
potentially feasible because I... although, hm... I don't know. I
place previously saved debootstrap deb files into each new debootstrap
copy's file hierarchy. The reason is because doing so saves a LOT of
time and strain on all affected servers (e.g. dialup, Debian, and
Debian repositories) It only helps some because there is always
something that needs a newer release pulled from online anyway.

Note: The rest of this rambles re personal experience with the end
point always being advocacy for Debian's potential as a Life enhancing
tool for vulnerable and/or poverty level populations......

Hm. I guess... I wonder (out loud) if providing necessary, time
appropriate debootstrap prerequisites on the floppy would help avoid
the need for online access to the updated debs at first. What I mean
is provide e.g. the necessary "lists" that match the provided deb
archives so the debootstrap command doesn't go looking for anything
more current online.

But then you still need dialup sooner than later... 20 minutes to a
half hour later is my regular experience when most initial deb archive
files are already previously downloaded. In that case, you might as
well just get your debootstrap fresh off the Net anyway so that you
receive the newest releases available. Yes, you could have the other
files on floppies but your lists are probably instantly more current
than those so there you head back to online access again...

The words "very messy alternative" come to mind... :D

Yes, debootstrap just gets your foot in the Debian front door, but
still, you're in. The rest you hand pick and choose.. for EVERYTHING
per user personality and need. Most of the rest you pull in would take
a pile of floppies, but *is* still there as a thought.

Right offhand I can't think of anything that is too big for a floppy
of its own. My (very bloated) /var/cache/apt/archives shows browsers
as the largest deb files at ~49MB. Of course, we're talking about...
hundreds to thousands of files that are updated regularly so... that
equates to a humongous stack of floppies that literally become
outdated at the very moment current files are being copied on to them.

My first copy of Debian was that stack of some, what was it, 31 CDs or
so. 33? GRIN. Put that up against floppies and ouch, BUT.. somewhere
that could become a Life saving tool... Speaking firsthand.

Who knows... Not joking here. Somewhere maybe there's a town full of
people looking for just such a thing in a country where outdated
dinosaur computer hardware is dumped as garbage fill from other
countries.

Where it could help... I have a few international Facebook friends.
Just last night I "overheard" something about another country. It's
left a permanent firsthand reminder that there ARE countries out there
where folks in charge... are absolute control freaks over every aspect
of citizens' lives. Getting communication related technology into the
hands of those citizens via whatever hardware is already in their
reach helps start flipping the balance in their favor.

Back to debootstrap... For each shiny new debootstrap copy I do, total
initial download time (for me) on dialup is in the one day range. That
brings in things like kernel image, desktop environment, OpenShot,
Libreoffice, GIMP, Inkscape, browsers, and a limited number of system
tools.

If I wasn't using Sid Unstable, keeping up to date would be a breeze
after that initial one day's worth of time investment. My very
limited, "skeletal" debootstrap'ed copy is still highly maintainable
and regularly reflects "0" packages needing upgraded even on Sid
Unstable's extreme update schedule and even on dialup.

Deboostrap is very much a poverty level friendly option if anyone's
advocacy and activities put you on a path where you could help change
someone's Life via access to Debian. In fact, debootstrap is an abject
poverty level friendly option. Absolute bottom of the social monetary
barrel, and I can still keep up with developers at the speed of
updates that make up Sid Unstable. Just waiting on a $9.25 external,
hardware driven dialup modem to hit my snail mailbox to catch back up
to speed with you all.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey