From: Thomas Schmitt [mailto:scdbackup@gmx.net]
Sent: 31. juli 2016 10:42
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Downloading and naming

Hi,

Brian Wengel wrote:
> I know the CD/DVD images also work on USB but maybe it’s time to
> actually stop calling it CD/DVD images?

"CD/DVD/BD/WholeDisk" images ?

The feature to boot from USB stick is not bound to USB but rather to the perception of the booting firmware and kernel, that the device is some kind of hard-disk-like device. From Linux view: /dev/sd rather than /dev/sr.

> where’s the floppy images?

The bootloaders got too fat and the floppies you can buy now are of poor quality.

> And I also see you can download 640MB images

Small is beautiful. Small is fast.
The "netinst" images have about 300 MiB and there are some "mini.iso"
which have about 32 MiB. (I still bemoan the demise of "businesscard".)

> I mean I just bought a 8GB USB flash drive for less than 5$!

There is the recurrent wish on debian-cd mailing list to provide images in popular USB stick sizes. Especially desired is the all-in-one image for 128 GiB sticks.

> I find it rather difficult and troublesome to find the image you want.

I dimly remember to have seen mails about an overhaul of download presentation. I thought they were from debian-cd but cannot find them in the archives there.
Feedback would probably be welcome ...

Maybe it's already public as
  https://www.debian.org/distrib/
which interestingly hides the flat download opportunity of large ISOs and the Jigdo download opportunity in favor of BitTorrent. (Oldfashioned bosses associate BitTorrent with piracy of music and videos.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas