Re: Big dummy at work again

On Saturday 11 June 2016 22:24:40 Doug wrote:
> On 06/11/2016 03:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings gui panel experts;
> >
> > After the first round of replacing iceweasel with firefox, since it
> > pointed at the firefox-esr binary after that, I killed the iceweasel
> > icon on the panel, only to discover that the firefox icon pointed at the
> > even older version, so I have edited it several times and now have it
> > launching firefox 47.0, but I saw synaptic dl and install 47.1, but I've
> > NDI which of the numerous copy's of firefox in /usr/bin is now the
> > correct one.  Anybody actually know which is correct after todays, 3rd
> > round of updates from firefox-whatever to firefox-47.1?
> >
> > And of course in the playing around I have now a text icon in place of
> > the usual firefox icon, and apparently no way in fiddling with the
> > properties of the icon, to correct that.
> >
> > I know that text icon is linked to some version of firefox, and I'm not
> > convinced I have the correct even now, see above version diff.
> >
> > I could use a little help.

How many are in your menu?

If more than one, and they are not clearly labelled, check, by starting them,
which is the right one, and then use the menu tool to remove the "wrong"
one(s).  Right click on panel.  <configure panel> -> < menus> -> <edit TDE
menu>

Now to tackle the icons.  *Delete* *all* *of* *them*, including the text one.
Now go to the menu.  Open it.  Right click on the version of Firefox that you
have left there.  Click, in the list that opens, on wherever you want the
icon.  (Panel, desktop etc.)

Job done.

>>  All
> > created by somebody deciding to repoint the iceweasel icon to the new
> > firefox, its sure turned into a whats this nightmare here.

No, Gene.  All created because you didn't trust the package manager.  Not that
IMHO Synaptic is that trustworthy. ;-)  I have just looked in my /usr/bin.  I
have firefox-esr and firefox-real.  So I have experimented.  Firefox-esr is
the one aptitude installed, and is Firefox 45.2.0 and Firefox is 47.0, and is
the one I installed.  I have both in my menu, clearly labelled Firefox-esr
and Firefox.  I let aptitude do its thing.  It has left life simple.

In the launcher, "firefox" launches firefox-real and "iceweasel" launches
firefox-esr, as does "firefox-esr".  It doesn't seem to me to matter that the
command "iceweasel" has been told to launch firefox-esr, now iceweasel is no
more.. :-/

I have:
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ wheezy-backports firefox-release
in my sources.list.  I am fascinated that as a result of that, and the fact
that I did have iceweasel, aptitude is keeping two versions of firefox
up-to-date!!

Why do anything the easy way when the difficult way will do, eh, Gene? ;-)

Lisi