Re: Advice sought re HDD --> SSD migration

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 02:13:58PM +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Apart from fixing that, what's left to do is to disconnect and remove the
> 500GB hard disk, move the SSD to the hard disk's SATA port so it is
> /dev/sda

Where do you depend upon it being /dev/sda? I'd strongly recommend using
filesystem labels (change an existing ext2,3,4 filesystem label with e2label,
other FS have similar tools) and UUIDs for identifying drives/partitions in
config files. In /etc/fstab, you can use LABEL=foo or UUID=xxxxx where you
would normally use a path to the device; elsewhere (e.g. systemd units) you can
use a path such as /dev/disk/by-label/foo or /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxx.

Try to use non-ambiguous labels. If there's any chance of you mixing drives
from this machine and another, I would put e.g. the hostname into the label
(so your /boot is somehostname_boot and should you put this drive in another
machine to read it in the future, it won't clash with that machine's boot
partition label. Assuming you use different hostnames :))

> modify grub.cfg to reflect the move and to remove the hard-disk
> boot menu items which grub-mkconfig, trying to be helpful, generated.

Unless you have customized your grub config, they should automatically disappear
after you've removed those drives and re-ran update-grub2. It should also be
working off UUIDs rather than device names like /dev/sda too, mind...

> But I'm basically there apart from my question above about the permissions
> of /media.

mine is just

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 May  5 17:09 /media

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.