Re: Advice sought re HDD --> SSD migration

On 06/04/2016 04:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've recently decided to upgrade my main PC, running Debian Jessie, to use
SSDs instead of HDDs. ...
The machine is a self-built circa 2009 machine with an Intel Core i7-920
processor, 24GB of RAM ... 1 500GB disk which
contained the whole filesystem except /opt with multiple partitions, and 1
1TB disk which is mounted on /opt.
The migration was easy for the /opt disk -- just install the SSD, partition
it, create an ext4 filesystem on it, mount it somewhere temporary, copy
everything over from the /opt harddisk, and modify fstab ...
I've got a feeling though that the main disk is going to be a bit more of a
challenge, and that is what I want advice about. I'm thinking I should boot
from a live image and effect the copy there so that the disk is not mounted
and in active use. Is that along the right lines or is there a better way?

The replacement SSD is 960GB where the original hard disk is 500GB. Would
you recommend a dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdd (or whatever it turns out to
be), or a cp -r command like I used for the /opt disk, or some other way to
execute the migration?

One complication is when I originally partitioned the 500GB disk I may have
overdone it a bit. I've got separate partitions for /boot, /usr, /home,
/tmp, /var, swap space and the root partition. I now consider that I
overdid that and would ideally like to collapse /usr, /tmp and /var into
the (correpondingly bigger) root partition, ie not have separate partitions
for them and end up with root, /boot and /home (BIOS is too old for UEFI so
using MBR booting so /boot partition makes sense). But, if trying to do so
is going to make life significantly harder, I can accept not doing so --
but I do want to make full use of the available space on the new device so
the partitions will not be the same size as they were.

What other things should I be concerned about (for example the discussion
about ping using capabilities that was on this list a day or two back)? Oh,
and speaking of MBR, as I was a paragraph ago, anything I should watch out
for when trying to make the SSD bootable?

And anything else I should bear in mind when migrating to SSDs on a system
that was originally installed on HDDs?
The SSDs are recently-bought SanDisk Ultra II 960GB devices, ...

I assume you've implemented backup, restore, imaging, archiving, etc..

dd'ing the 500 GB onto the second SSD should work.

But, if it were my box:

1. Buy a 16+ GB SSD to use as the i7-920 system drive, install and connect to motherboard SATA-0 port (dev/sda), and do a fresh install with MBR and three partitions -- ext4 boot, LUKS random key swap, and LUKS btrfs root.

2. Install the two 960 GB SSD's. Set up each with GPT partition table, one large partition, and LUKS. Put RAID1 copy-on-write (COW) file system on top -- mdadm RAID1 plus btrfs, LVM RAID1 plus btrfs, btrfs with RAID1 (if supported), or ZFS on Linux (ZOL) mirror.

3. If you choose ZOL, leave space on the system drive, add a fourth partition with LUKS, and use it for the L2ARC.

4. If you're going to use this as a headless SOHO file server, a USB 3.0 flash drive could work as your system drive. If you do this and also choose ZOL, it would be best to use another USB 3.0 flash drive for the L2ARC.

David