Re: Replacing duply for backup

On Sunday 05 June 2016 10:29:21 Erwan David wrote:

> Le 05/06/2016 à 16:27, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > On Sunday 05 June 2016 06:59:41 Erwan David wrote:
> >> I have my backups done with duply and duplicity.
> >>
> >> However duply from stable uses deprecated options of duplicity, and
> >> duply from testing has a bug which obliges to write a gpg
> >> passphrase in clear text. Since bug 807329 has no answer at all, I
> >> am looking to another way to do my backups, which could use all the
> >> past backups for the transition.
> >>
> >> What to use ?
> >
> > I am a great fan of amanda, and have been using it since the late
> > '90's. Once configured and running, I can forget about it as the job
> > of making a backup becomes just another entry in a crontab. I get an
> > emailed report, both from amanda and from my wrappers.  amanda does
> > its own housekeeping and record keeping, and recovery is very fast
> > if using virtual tapes that are actually directories on another big
> > hard drive.  And the drive is about $90 at the vendors for a 1Tb,
> > which I think is very comparable to a tape library and 40 or so
> > tapes at something north of $10,000.  And in nearly a decade,
> > 50,000% more dependable than tape.  One drive failed in a decade,
> > and it warned me in plenty of time to go to town and get another.
> > Zero data loss.
> >
> > But you will have to get rid of your do a full on Friday's. You tell
> > amanda how many days amanda has to do a level0 on everything, and
> > amanda will fiddle with the schedule until each nights run saves
> > about the same amount of data. Everything else gets an incremental.
> > So I can do a bare metal recovery to a new main drive with nothing
> > more than the install dvd, tar and cp to extract last nights copy of
> > the database and amanda config that generated that backup, giving
> > amanda the data it needs to do its work, and have this system
> > restored to its state as of about 2am this morning, all in about 3
> > hours + the time to go get a new drive from Staples.
> >
> > Whats not to like?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Can amanda backyup on a ftp server or google drive ?
>
> That's what I do now.

That I have not attempted, but it might be possible.  But me, being king
of the paranoids, don't think putting my data out for the snoops to
peruse can possibly be a good idea. I don't think I have a thing they
might be interested in that is not already available from my web page
below.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)