Re: Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages [SOLVED]

On Sunday 05 June 2016 10:24:13 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote on 06/05/16 03:11:

> >> <snip>

> >> All these remnants of previously installed packages can be safely
> >> removed from your system in my opinion.
> >> If you prefer dpkg, try
> >>
> >>   dpkg --purge --pending
> >
> > Failed, libpixman1.0 has deps from the xorg.server
> > root@coyote:/var/lib/dpkg# dpkg --purge --pending
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libpixman-1-0:i386:
> >  xserver-xorg-video-intel depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).
> >  libpixman-1-dev depends on libpixman-1-0 (= 0.26.0-4+deb7u2).
> >  xserver-xorg-core depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).
> >  libcairo2:i386 depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).
> >
> > dpkg: error processing libpixman-1-0:i386 (--purge):
> >  dependency problems - not removing
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  libpixman-1-0:i386
>
> Since the automatism is too reckless, we can use manual control, just
> purge packages in "c" state:
>
>   dpkg --purge $(aptitude -F '%p' search '~c')
>
> >> Or heavier, using aptitude
> >>
> >>   aptitude purge '~c'
> >
> > And that wants to behead the system, removing quite a few packages I
> > use frequently, so I gave it a 'n'.
> >
> >> but this could try to remove also other automatically installed
> >> packages which are not needed by any other package. To get a list
> >> of such candidates use
> >>
> >>   aptitude search '~g'
> >
> > And that returns an equally lengthy list, all prefaced with an 'id'.
> >  No clue what that means as I don't believe I have the reference
> > manual.
>
> The packages tagged with "id" are selected to be removed (deinstall).
> (aptitude shows in the first column the package status and in the
> second column the desired state, just inverted compared to the the
> output of dpkg). Since this is a hint for packages no longer needed,
> better take a closer look at this list and sort out what's really
> needed.
>
> For each package you want to keep, change the selection state to
> "install", for example for the package libpixman-1-0
>
>   echo "libpixman-1-0  install" | dpkg --set-selections
>
> Now
>
>   dpkg -l libpixman-1-0
>
> should show the package with "ii" at the beginning of the line.
>
> Regards,
> jvp.

I just let it do it all, and will "wait for the other shoe to drop"
One thing that seems missing in these procedures is when a bunch of libs
have been purged, is a run of ldconfig to clean up things.

Now we'll see what gets a tummy ache. :)

Thanks JVP.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)