Re: Modified Rapture<g>, and a new question

On 2016-04-05, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>>         Result of my GNOME install:  I typed   'startx'  from my command line, and I
>>         got a beautiful blue screen, a delight to the eye after days of perusing tiny

I get that too (blue, it must be the default desktop watchamacallit,
with a light-grayish swirl in the middle).

>>         characters on a black display.  And in the middle of the blue screen there was
>>         a handsome mouse arrow, which moved around elegantly when controlled by my right
>>         hand.

Have you moved it elegantly to the extreme upper-left hand corner of the display?

> Progress indeed.
>
>>         And that was _all_!!  No icons, nothing to click on . . . I typed on the keyboard,
>>         no reaction . . .   There must be some simple way to get a proper GNOME started,
>>         but since I've never used it before, I wonder if someone can give me a hint.
>
> The gnome I have has 'Activities' in the top left of the screen.

Right. Activities. Wonder what they mean by that.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that