RE: restarting network [SOLVED]

Hi Tony,

> My thanks to everyone who helped resolve this question, especially Reco and Darjac, who set me on the right path to the solution.
>
> It turned out that indeed having two default routes was a killer, but having sorted that, restarting the networking service was upsetting openvpn, which somehow consumed 100% of my network capability, and gave every impression of the network being dead.
>
> Disabling openvpn sorted that. As I don't normally use openvpn, I can easily start it on occasions when I need it. I'll get back to sorting out what it's doing wrong when I've got more time.

Like I wrote before, some services do not like it when network part they rely on disappears for a (short) while when the network restarts.
In my case Quagga was one of them, it seems OpenVPN is another one.
Unless you really want to debug why, Just create a script that does a service network restart first and then a service openvpn restart

Bonno Bloksma