Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Mon 14 Mar 2016 at 08:43:06 (+0100), jdd wrote:
> Le 14/03/2016 04:48, David Wright a écrit :
>
> >Why bother? The AirPrint technology built into the MFC-J5720DW printer
> >can do that. Why can't CUPS send PDF down the wire to the printer,
> >thereby avoiding all the driver-crap? You've just said "The AirPrint
> >facility handles a PDF" (requoted above). Why not let it do so?
>
> my guess is that airprint is a black box between the "air" (what
> ever it means) and the printer, like an ethernet card can be.

Not having such a printer, I can only quote what I see written by
people who should know:

"AirPrint is built into most popular printer models, like the ones
listed in this article." which includes MFC-J5720DW in the list.

"On your Mac, you can also connect your AirPrint printer to a USB port
or Ethernet port if you don't want to print wirelessly. Check the
documentation that came with your printer to see if it includes one
of these ports."

Both from https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201311

> If you send ethernet signal through usb, the printer wont understand
> it. If it's so, the printer only understand pdf if used with
> airprint.
>
> the other solution is having in the printer a linux box (invisible
> to user) having an airprint interface, an usb interface, etc, and
> then the usb may also understand pdf.

Cheers,
David.