Re: Help -- Can't logon at GUI session (ctl-alt-F7)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Sven Arvidsson wrote on 03/09/2016 03:46 AM:
> > On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 09:51 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> >> The display manager is most likely crashing. You need to examine
> >> logs and figure out why.
> >
> > Sorry, X is probably crashing! If the display manager was crashing
> > you wouldn't be able to log in :)
> >
> Well, whatever. I tried a couple of things and now I get
> nothing on my screen at all!
>
> I guess I will reinstall tomorrow instead of next week. I'm
> sure that will fix it! I hate to do things that way though.
> Reeks too much of Windows ;(

Since you're going to reinstall, set up the system to boot to a
terminal, the login and run startx, and see what happens.  If all goes
well, then change your init config file to boot to the GUI instead and
see if all works.

If you have problems with X, at least, you'll be able to login to the
system and troubleshoot.