Re: GNOME 3, how do you ensure windows are grouped in the dash?

On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 09:18 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2016-03-09, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > I am aware that I could change my workflow. I could use one
> > terminal
> > with screen or tmux or similar to have a different window on each
> > host. I know I could use terminator to have multiple terminal
> > windows inside one window. Or I could use a tabbed terminal
> > emulator
> > like gnome-terminal.
> >
> > The thing is, I really like urxvt! And I really like having one
> > urxvt window for each host, using screen to have multiple sessions
> > within each one.
> That is exactly my workflow. I achieve it using gnome-terminal,
> because
> that terminal keeps only one application instance running and opens
> new
> windows as necessary. There is no need for tabs within the terminal,
> and
> only one icon appears in the dash. You are then free to run GNU
> screen
> remotely as you require.

No surprise as gnome-terminal is well integrated with GNOME :)

But xterm also have its windows grouped in the shell. Hmm...

I examined the window hints set by xterm and urxvt (with xprop) and
urxvt does not set WM_CLIENT_LEADER that the shell needs for grouping:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/HQ479-XYwy8

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson