Re: exim4 maildir_tag

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 23:21:26 +1100
Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/03/2016 8:32 PM, Christian Schmidt wrote:
> > On 07.03.2016 19:34, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> >> So, mail queue handling will then be done by dovecot-lda instead
> >> of exim4.
> >
> > No, dovecot "only" does delivery to your local users'
> > mailboxes/maildirs.
>
> That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.
>
> >> Will mailq still give me results the same way?
> >
> > Sure.
>
> Excellent, now I just need to work out how to gzip emails when they
> are larger than the file system block size of 4KB -- although I do
> wonder, does dovecot provide clients with non-zipped data or can it
> benefit form less traffic by providing zipped data over the
> transport?  (like how a web browser might receive zipped content and
> unzip it to build the webpage on the client).

Dovecot has two (relevant) plugins. zlib compresses the stored emails.
This is transparent to all clients - exim provides uncompressed emails,
dovecot compresses them to disk and on-the-fly decompresses them when
serving them back to mail clients.

There is also imap_zlib which works like the HTTP gzip extension. IMAP
communications are compressed, allowing fewer bytes to be sent between
the server and the clients.