Re: Is it possible to conduct a Debian install over wifi (iwlwifi)?

On Mon 07 Mar 2016 at 12:07:21 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 10:46:47AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > 1. Stop at the 'Detect network hardware' stage and switch to a console.
> >
> > 2. Unpack the .deb for the firmware you want:
> >
> >     ar -x /cdrom/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/<your_firmware.deb>
>
> Because I was using the non-free firmware installers, the firmware
> was already present in /lib/firmware and still the (jessie
> net-)installer did not ask for it.

Why should the installer ask for firmware if it knows it is present in
/lib/firmware? Your problem is that the firmware is not transferred to
the device. The consequence is that the wireless interface wlan0 is not
detected. The syslog should confirm this.

The technique described cuts out the d-i middleman and gives the kernel
what it wants. You have nothing to lose by trying it.