Re: Is it possible to conduct a Debian install over wifi (iwlwifi)?

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 10:46:47AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> 1. Stop at the 'Detect network hardware' stage and switch to a console.
>
> 2. Unpack the .deb for the firmware you want:
>
>     ar -x /cdrom/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/<your_firmware.deb>

Because I was using the non-free firmware installers, the firmware
was already present in /lib/firmware and still the (jessie
net-)installer did not ask for it.

In my other follow-up I mentioned that a daily d-i stretch ISO
(again of the unofficial non-free firmware variety) did actually
work as far as wifi firmware was concerned, but bombed out with a
package conflict. It turns out that switching to the console and
doing "apt-get install -f" as it suggested did resolve that and the
install was able to proceed.

I have ended up with a successful install of stretch, entirely
installed over wifi, which is very encouraging.

I'm undecided whether to stay on testing though, so I might yet end
up trying a few different things to get stable installed…

Cheers,
Andy