Re: Bluetooth headphones mistaken for a keyboard!?!

On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 11:08 +0100, deloptes wrote:

> So what I would do is to check the profiles reported via the hcitool
> It would be most probably A2DP.

When I run hcitool info on the headphones I get:

$ hcitool info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Requesting information ...
	BD Address:  XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	OUI Company: Bang & Olufsen A/S (00-09-A7)
	Device Name: BeoPlay H8
	LMP Version: 4.1 (0x7) LMP Subversion: 0x2812
	Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
	Features page 0: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x5b 0x87
		<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
		<park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
		<HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging scheme>
		<power control> <transparent SCO> <broadcast encrypt>
		<EDR ACL 2 Mbps> <EDR ACL 3 Mbps> <enhanced iscan>
		<extended SCO> <EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
		<AFH class. slave> <LE support> <3-slot EDR ACL>
		<5-slot EDR ACL> <sniff subrating> <pause encryption>
		<AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <EDR eSCO 2 Mbps>
		<EDR eSCO 3 Mbps> <3-slot EDR eSCO> <extended inquiry>
		<LE and BR/EDR> <simple pairing> <encapsulated PDU>
		<non-flush flag> <LSTO> <inquiry TX power> <EPC>
		<extended features>
	Features page 1: 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

(Address elided just in case I should care about that)

"sdptool records" gives me the following profiles supported (scraped
from the output, can post it all if it helps):

  "Handsfree" (0x111e)
    Version: 0x0106
  "Headset" (0x1108)
    Version: 0x0102
  "Advanced Audio" (0x110d)
    Version: 0x0103
  "AV Remote" (0x110e)
    Version: 0x0105

I suspect that "Advanced Audio" is the one I want...

> Next is to find out how to configure udev to map the profile to an output.

Uh... yeah. Unfortunately I am not sure what that means. Does that mean
create new udev rules? Know of any good resources I can use to learn how
to do that? I imagine I am gonna need that 0x110d code though, right?

> Jessie stock is 3.16 - it could be worth trying something newer - live
> ubuntu pre release or so. Not only because of the kernel, but because udev
> could be smarter.

The headphones are about a year old -- I mean this product has been on
the market for about a year, this particular pair is brand new -- does
that make any difference? I am willing to try a newer kernel if you
think it will really make a difference.

> I had to install blueman in order to easily configure bluetooth devices in
> gnome on jessie recently. And I read that A2DP is located now in
> gstreamer ... pulse something package (bluez5).

Now that's interesting -- you are not the first person to recommend
Blueman since I started looking into this but I installed Blueman the
other day and don't see it telling me anything remotely useful that the
gnome bluetooth applet doesn't, except for signal strengths etc which
seem to be strong / optimal but aren't actually helping. Am I being
stupid?

I don't see A2DP in the list of profiles -- unless that is "Advanced
Audio"?

And gstreamer is installed. I see a lot of packages for gstreamer and
they aren't all installed, but the ones that look important to me are.
Specifically gstreamer-1.0-pulse is installed.

> I think you misinterpret the messages - it is normal that you get keyboard
> as input, because there are buttons you press to control the device.
> The problem is you are missing the audio link. So there is a missing part -
> not wrongly configured one. I would say this part is correctly configured,
> but the audio link is not configured at all.

Ah, I see, that makes sense I guess.

> However it could be also that the expensive brand "Bang & Olufsen" provided
> you with a CD with windows drivers for something not supported in linux -
> this would be your worst case.

It came with a small USB cable for charging, a regular audio cable for
situations where Bluetooth is not allowed, a manual in about 10
languages, and that's it. No Windows drivers. It's a pair of headphones
primarily designed for use generically with bluetooth enabled devices,
not primarily designed for use with a computer specifically. And I've
been using them connected to my iPhone while writing this, and I have to
say they are sweeeeet. So I am glad I bought 'em even if it takes me a
few days to get them working with my PC.

(Obviously I was not expecting them to work with my PC while they were
being used by my iPhone, I am not _that_ stupid :-) )

> I hope this helps

Thanks for your ongoing help, I appreciate you taking the time.

Mark