Re: error "sh: 1: exec: ...: File exists" with dash

On 2016-03-03 10:18:55 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I've got the following error in a script yesterday on a Debian 8
> machine:
>
>   sh: 1: exec: /home/vlefevre/bin/mymaple: File exists
>
> where sh is dash. The command that led to this error is equivalent to:
>
>   sh -c 'exec /home/vlefevre/bin/mymaple -q -s 2>&1'
>
> The "File exists" message corresponds to the EEXIST error:
>
> $ errno --search exists
> EEXIST 17 File exists
>
> But what does this error mean here? Which file exists and shouldn't?
[...]

Some additional information...

I've looked at the history of my commands, and 5 seconds before this
error, I regenerated my config on another machine, with the same home
directory via NFS. In particular, this has the effect to re-create
the mymaple script with:

  touch /home/vlefevre/bin/mymaple
  mv -v ... /home/vlefevre/bin/mymaple

(the "touch" is a workaround to avoid a kernel bug present in Debian 8)
at about the same time of the error. But this still doesn't explain the
error. Perhaps a race condition in the kernel?