Re: Squeeze LVM: pvmove failure left with new LVM named /dev/vg0/pvmove0 - Trying to roll back

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 02:15:14PM +0100, Sophie Loewenthal wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am looking for advice on rolling back a failed pvmove of extents on the same PV ( disc ) and appreciate any help.

	When trying to create a contiguous set of extents on a disc I accidently moved the wrong extents.

My command was,
pvmove -v /dev/sda3:0-15 /dev/sdc:3028-3043 --alloc anywhere

But should have been,
pvmove -v /dev/sda3:2564-2579 /dev/sdc:3028-3043 --alloc anywhere

You can see I accidentally moved some extents from /boot and perhaps root to the back of the disc.

The command hung, and the server panicked.
I rebooted and the extents appeared as /dev/vg0/pvmove0 in two different locations.

How could I get the root and /boot extents back to the start of the disc safely?

Quoting the second paragraph of the pvmove manpage:

  If pvmove gets interrupted for any reason (e.g.  the  machine  crashes)
  then  run  pvmove again without any PhysicalVolume arguments to restart
  any moves that were in progress from  the  last  checkpoint.   Alterna-
  tively use pvmove --abort at any time to abort.  The resulting location
  of logical volumes after an abort is  issued  depends  on  whether  the
  --atomic option was used when starting the pvmove process.

--
For more information, please reread.