Re: Can Synaptic when used with Mate be tweaked

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:10:18 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 12/28/2016 11:06 AM, Joe wrote:

> > Have you no icon (magnifying glass) at all?
>
> That is correct.
>
> > If this is missing, you have some kind of installation problem with
> > Synaptic,
>
> I suspected as much. The FIND function does exist and is
> available thru one of the menus.
>
> > blow away and try again.
>
> How do I "blow away"?

aptitude purge synaptic
apt-get purge synaptic

 as preferred. You should really be able to 'mark for complete removal'
from Synaptic, but I've learned never to ask for trouble, and would use
some other tool to remove Synaptic itself. Then either apt-get or
aptitude to install.

> >  If you want a search text input icon in addition to the
> > basic magnifying glass search, you need the non-default
> > apt-xapian-index package and a few dependencies.
>
> Not quite ;) I wish "NORMAL" 'quote' operation 'unquote'.
> IOW, "what did I mess up?"

Nothing, as far as I know. I'm reasonably sure the basic search is
built-in, and does not need any kind of add-on. I like the Xapian
search, so I do add that, but YMMV.

> What I was really hoping for would be a solution of form examine
> sr0 first then sr1, chose whichever had the appropriate CD/DVD.

I'm reasonably sure that the lines in the traditional sources.list will
be checked in order, and anything not present will not cause trouble.
But I don't think there's any syntax for 'treat whatever you find in
location X as a repository', I think you do need to use the exact name
of the CD-ROM or the file path of the mounted drive. You might try a
careful study of man sources.list, but I don't think you'll win. On the
other hand, I believe the apt repository system is extensible, so such
a search might be added.

--
Joe