Re: Can Synaptic when used with Mate be tweaked

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 06:33:11 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I've just installed Jessie with Mate DE to a new machine.
>
> On previous installs on other machines, a search icon was present
> on Synaptic's menu bar. It is not there now, what have I done
> differently?

Have you no icon (magnifying glass) at all? If this is missing, you
have some kind of installation problem with Synaptic, blow away and
try again. If you want a search text input icon in addition to the
basic magnifying glass search, you need the non-default
apt-xapian-index package and a few dependencies.

> My machine is a laptop whose CD eject button is small and in an
> awkward location. Is there anyway to have Synaptic eject rather
> than unmount the CD when it has finished with it?

Probably not Synaptic as such, but a right-click on the drive in a file
manager should give an 'eject' option, or there may be an up arrow
beside the drive name. You probably have to close anything which is
currently using the drive.

> [As a side note, I have noticed that some USB flash drives have a
> "safe remove" option, others have only an "eject" option. I would
> prefer USB flash drives to only have an unmount option. Possible?]

Don't know, I generally use a file manager with USB drives, and just
hit the up arrow beside the drive when I'm finished. If more than one
partition is mounted, clicking on one arrow blinks the light on the
drive (if it has one) and unmounts all partitions.

> As an alternative to the above, is there any way to have Synaptic
> use an external USB connected drive rather than the internal CD?

I would think you'd have to make sure it has a fixed name, and give it
a sources.list file uri entry.

> The external drive is moderately faster and has a convent eject
> button.

Are you in the market for flying nun jokes?

--
Joe