Re: chgrp with user

Xen wrote:

> Xen schreef op 27-12-2016 23:13:
>
>> Lost my temper there, Winston would say. Yes, I play video games too.
>> What's the problem with that? You have a problem with that too? :).
>
> Also still want to add, If I may.

No need to be so sensitive to what I say. We also do "wrong" things, but do
not discuss them :)
It was repeated couple of times what your options are regarding your
problem. I don't think much more can be said and done.

> That even Mediawiki probably doesn't provide all the tools you'd need to
> completely circumvent the filesystem.
>
> For example, no one in his right mind would probably use Media-wiki
> specific tools to back up the database. Also Media-wiki probably stores
> all content in the database, so it is not even equivalent here.

The scope defines the right and wrong. The scope in your case is simply
wrong - accept it!

> Those people who say you are doing the wrong thing would also resort to
> the wrong thing if shit hit the fan. And that's all I can say about it.
> If they really ended up in a problem situation they would *also* do that
> "wrong thing" to solve the problem and get or keep their company
> running, for instance.

After 15+y of experience with big size companies I could say a lot of people
get payed so that such thing never happens and even if happens a backup
plan has been signed off and tested already ... so probably not true. If
true ... some one was an i**ot and will get fired

> When in a practical situation all those petty concerns about what is
> right and what is wrong do not matter anymore. What matters then is
> results and nothing else. That,  I wanted to say here.

There is always right and wrong - the scope defines it and we are always
bound to a specific scope/context.

> You will use the appropriate tools to solve the problem at hand NOW,
> yes, you too will do that. And if the "right tools" won't do that, you
> will use the "wrong tools" because they then actually yield results
> whereas the "right tools" don't for example because they do not even
> exist.

Many people told you it is inappropriate to run web server with your
credentials (write access to your data etc)

I prefer using php build in server, where possible. Where not possible I
work on a test system ( like virtual server configured to run on localhost
only etc)

There are so many options. My insult was because you refuse to use your
imagination and insist to do it the wrong way.
Talking about complaining, I think you complain the most.

> I really wonder if anyone here backs up a Media-wiki database for
> example by using some Media-wiki "export" function or if in fact you
> back up the (MySQL) database yourself. I really think I can predict all
> of us are going to use filesystem tools indeed. And not Media-wiki
> tools.

Only a db dump will not be sufficient

> Drupal for instance has "drush sql-dump" to export the (MySQL) database
> but are you seriously going to use that every time you export or back-up
> the database? Why should you?

yes. why? because it is intended to the work that I need to be done.

> I don't like snapshots but they are certainly the easiest way to back-up
> any filesystem without interruption. And even if you didn't mysqldump
> might still be the more appropriate tool
> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/mysqldump.html) and will cover
> other databases as well (tables) (and besides) drush sql-dump uses
> mysqldump too.

no need to comment this, I hope you understand why

> Everyone in the right position would use the "wrong" tool because it
> would work whereas the "right" tool would not or would not even be
> available. When it comes down to it, practical matters supersede
> theoretical concerns, but you can't see this from the comfort of your
> seat into another person's computer or site or server.

I don't remember when it was the last time I had a situation when I did or
used the wrong tool. You have to spent a bit more time on planning and you
don't have situations, where you have to do something wrong to solve a
problem. Usually I would say 3/4 is planning and 1/4 is working - it's
because being a human means you have a brain and if you use it more, you
use your hands less. A pure principle of economy in nature :)

> So please, some leniency with the "inadequacies" of other people because
> they might be doing the right thing whereas you can't see that they do
> because you do not have the information for it. Not all situations are
> identical and everyone chooses the appropriate path for him or herself.
>
> I hope that is enough now.

No need to advocate for yourself. I simply don't understand the frustration,
but hopefully you will forgive if I have insulted you in some way.
I think your question has been answered and you can find your way. You have
received many ideas in how your problem may be solved easily.

Please also keep in mind this is a public list - a lot of people read it and
we write things that could benefit the rest as well.

regards