Re: Synaptic icons - where defined/explained?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 14:21:20 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Where is the icon [a yellow star in otherwise blank box] defined?

Not sure where it's described/defined, but if I understand you
correctly, it means there's an update available for an uninstalled
package.

>What does "new in repository" actually mean? I've installed from
>a purchased set of DVDs, so it cannot mean "new since DVD created" ;/

Yes, it does;  The installation of Debian almost inevitably creates a
non-DVD repo which can have new packages delivered to it.  So, you're
using a repo (or repos) other than the install DVDs and new packages have
arrived in that repo.  This can happen as a natural consequence of
migration from sid to testing, for example.

--
 Regards  _
We're going to hell anyway, let's travel first class