Re: Synaptic icons - where defined/explained?

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Where is the icon [a yellow star in otherwise blank box] defined?
> Not in
> https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=synaptic&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+8+jessie&format=html&locale=en
>
> A graphic accessed from Help->Icon Legend says only "Not installed(new in
> repository)"
>
> What does "new in repository" actually mean? I've installed from a purchased
> set of DVDs, so it cannot mean "new since DVD created" ;/

It is referring to the online repository maintained by Debian and
mirrored across all over the world. The repository locations  are
specified in /etc/apt/sources.list file. For example, I have the
following lines in my /etc/apt/sources.list

 % cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

If you just look at the first line
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

it is pointing to the  repository located at
http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/. You can track multiple
repositories (in the above example that would be
http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/, http://security.debian.org/). The
repository location can be something remote (as is the case in my
example) or something local (ex:- DVD, CD, USB). You can even set up
your own repository (on your hard drive) and point
/etc/apt/sources.list there. But in general, unless otherwise
specified, a repository usually means the official one maintained by
Debian.

hope that helps
raju
--