gpg-agent on stretch?

Hello,

I have two stretch installs; on one, gpg-agent launches at startup, on the other it does not.   I would like it to on both.

I have checked the following:

~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf and ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf match, and have “use-agent”
systemd has a gpg.service

The behavior I want is to not have to type my passphrase when I’m logged in — long caching would work as well, as I use gpg directly and from scripts at east every few hours.  But at this point, I’m not even sure I am getting the agent up correctly, and when I start it manually in a terminal session, I still see the pinentry-gnome3 GUI box.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
--
Boyan Penkov