Re: best practices for fighting spam with Debian?

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 07:51:45AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

>> - does the sender know their mail was not delivered and do they get a
>> reasonable explanation?  I've heard there are spam filters who give a
>> "user doesn't exist" error which is somewhat disrespectful to genuine
>> senders. [...]

> I wish this were so. The really Big Ones (have seen that with
> outlook.com, possibly with gmail.com), either just drop silently
> the mail (!) or deliver it to the end user's spam box (which
> combined with the (reasonable!) recommendation to not click
> on dubious mail amounts to the same).

> Thus mail gets not delivered *without any notification to the
> sender*.

At least in the case of delivery to the SPAM box the mail has been
actually delivered to the user.

The first one is really the problem, where the mail just vanishes and
both the sender and the receiver have no idea where it went.

> This has the potential to kill mail (which for the Big Ones might
> be a Good Thing: mail is too decentral and too hard to monetarize).

10 years ago, SPAM was told to kill eMail. Now it's the over-the-top
anti-SPAM solutions doing the same.

Grüße,
Sven.

--