Re: Black Screen on First Boot

On 12/14/2016 06:34 AM, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
Something else: if your motherboard has onboard video, remove the AGP
card and give onboard a go. Most motherboards of that era with Intel
CPUs and AGP slots also provide an onboard video port.

OK, the following gets past the black screen to the login screen:

Removed the AGP card and a sound card, leaving no adapter cards plugged in. Took the cap off the onboard video port and plugged in the display that came with this IBM ThinkCentre. The login screen appears with my user name. I enter my password and get:

:(
Oh no! something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. All extensions have been disabled as a precaution.
Log Out

The cursor has disappeared. Press enter and get back to the login screen. Cursor reappears.

Try to login as "admin" and get rejected as if wrong password was entered.

All the above is consistent and repeatable. The correct passwords are being entered.

 - Dan