Re: Black Screen on First Boot

Dan Norton composed on 2016-12-13 18:04 (UTC-0500):

It's impossible to accurately answer all your questions without knowing
your gfxchip (lspci) or display model (hwinfo)...

You need a shell prompt, not a grub2 prompt, to run those.

Grub doesn't recognize any of those commands, but from hard copy:
Display adapter: NVIDIAGeForce4 8X AGP ;

That is indeed rather ancient, initially launched in February 2002.

Display: LG W1953TV ;

According to https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-w1953t-lcd-monitor-18-5/specs/ your display is 1366x768, not 1360x768. I don't think either resolution existed at the time your GeForce4 was designed or marketed, when any sort of widescreen display was still rather new and/or expensive.

Pentium 4 3.0

I have several. I have Jessie on two old machines here in that general speed category.

1-Check if Plymouth is installed. If yes, purge it.

Did not find it.

One less thing to break. :-)

2-If Plymouth is not relevant, try testing changes to Grub's boot time
parameters by hitting the "e" key as soon as the Grub menu appears, and
remove quiet and splash from it. If it works, change /etc/default/grub
to match and run grub-mkconfig.

No quiet or splash in /boot/grub/grub.cfg but you give me an idea: is
there a way to copy /etc/default/grub to a memory stick, edit it on
another machine, then write it back? There is no mount command in the
grub set.

Until you know what if any grub configuration changes are required, editing is premature. Editing on the fly at boot time is how one troubleshoots grub-related troubles.

Something else: if your motherboard has onboard video, remove the AGP card and give onboard a go. Most motherboards of that era with Intel CPUs and AGP slots also provide an onboard video port.

If you have an onboard video port in addition to the AGP one, be sure to plug the cable into the AGP one. When both are present, the onboard if it ever works cannot be counted on to stay working unless there is specific provision to do so in the motherboard BIOS..

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/