Python Alternatives?

I currently have both Python 2.7 and Python 3.4 installed on my debain 8.5 (jessie) system. The default Python interpreter on the system is Python 2.7 (as linked by /usr/bin/python). I would prefer this default to be Python 3.4. I can, of course manually change the link in /usr/bin to point to Python 3.4, however, I am concerned that doing this may defeat some other available method for making this change. I note that update-alternatives does not have a group for the Python interpreter, and so cannot be used for this change. Is there some other more acceptable method for making this change other than just manually changing the line /usr/bin/python to point to python3.4 instead of python2.7?

--
73's de Mike, WB5VQX