Re: LVM RAID vs LVM over MD

On 12 Dec 2016 10:21 pm, "Jonathan Dowland" <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 10:53:30AM +1100, Igor Cicimov wrote:
> It depends. If you are using cloud services with remote shared storage like
> AWS EBS it does not make sense using LVM on top of RAID. To me it is just
> adding complexity to already complex SAN storage. You also have no idea
> what the block devices presented to the VM are coming from it might be a
> file coming over iSCSI. I've been using LVM raid on AWS EBS for years
> without any issues. My advice is test and match them all before you make
> your decision each ones user case and experience is different.

I should have prefixed my answer with "If you want RAID...". I don't
personally use RAID anywhere, myself, at the moment.

In the situation you describe then you are doing logical volume management
elsewhere and you would indeed not need LVM. You should also address redundancy
at that other layer so you wouldn't need (local) RAID either, either LVM or MD
based, IMHO.

You don't explain why you chose to use LVM RAID over mdadm, but as I said, I
wouldn't use either in your case.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

It is not all about redundancy but performance too. In my tests the lvm-raid performed better than plain lvm.