Re: Package update problem...

On Sunday, 12/11/16 02:45:41 PM kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:

> > I'm running Jesse 8.6 with a KDE desktop.

> > I get a desktop notification that there is one or more package updates

> > available. I select the package(s) and then I'm asked for authentication.

> > I type in the root password, but it is rejected. I also try my user

> > password, but that is also rejected. (Tried multiple times, so it doesn't

> > seem to be a typo problem)

> > If I go to the command line--as root--and do apt-get update and upgrade,

> > then the update installs correctly.

> > This sounds like something easy to fix, but I just don't know where to fix

> > and what fix to apply. Please let me know.

> The technical term you are looking for is called "Privilege escalation".

> On a Debian system, "administrative" privileges are required to

> install/upgrade/remove packages. When you run the command as root, you

> have all the necessary privileges. A normal user does not have them

> enabled by default. This explains why the commands fail unless they

> are run as root. One possible approach (I am only guessing here and

> have not tested this) is to grant the necessary privileges to this

> user and see if the KDE application respects that.

> You can do this by modifying /etc/sudoers which is explained in

> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html#_sudo_confi

> guration

> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch04.en.html#_sudo

> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.config-misc.html#sect.shari

> ng-admin-rights

> The only caution is that /etc/sudoers can't be edited interactively in

> an editor. You need to use another program called visudo to do that.

> You can accomplish some really complex tasks by tweaking the sudoers

> configuration file (see man sudoers for all the gory details). But for

> your use case, granting ALL permissions to one normal user should

> probably be sufficient.

> hope that helps

> raju

Sorry to seem stubborn, but I don't consider giving a user account full administrative access acceptable, even if there is only one user on the system. My reasoning is that by default if the user goes to a "naughty" web page and somehow downloads destructive software only the user's files are at risk. But, with full administrative access, the entire system (plus any attached networks) are at risk.

Question: Is not allowing an administrative (software update)task to run when the root password is given a bug or is it by design? If by design, why?

I see two alternatives to your suggestion, neither of which is convenient.

1. When I get a notification, log off and then log in as root. Then when the updates are downloaded and applied, log back in as the user.

2. When I get a notification, use "su" to change to the root user and then do the updates.

Both of these add more steps. If I have to add these steps, then I have to. But, I have been using linux (and KDE) for a long time and up until now, when an update arrives I select to apply the update, give the root password, and the update is installed. Now, when I get an update notification and supply the root password to apply the update, the update is not applied. (I am returned to the password prompt)

Thanks,

Mark