Re: spam filtering question?

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 10:27:50PM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> shellworld.net the shell service where I do most of my internet work is
> using Ubuntu.
> For reasons that I  find rather confusing spam assassin  is well no longer
> filtering at the level it did previously.
> Has something happened to the program ?

Most likely the volume or nature of the spam you are receiving has changed,
rather than the filters. If the SpamAssassin instance has the bayesian classifier
enabled (you might be able to tell by the headers it adds to your mail), then
it may learn some traits from the more recent spam, if there is a feedback loop
in place for you to report spam.

> Is there a better spam filtering option for shell servers that I might
> suggest to our administrator?

I find crm114 to be excellent. Depending on precicely how the shell server has
mail setup, you might be able to set it up for yourself, running on top of the
service offered by the shell service, as an additional layer of filtering.