Re: Where are WiFi passwords (WPA keys) stored?

On Tue 06 Dec 2016 at 11:14:56 +0100, Christian Seiler wrote:

> Note that when using NetworkManager, it configures its own
> instance of wpa_supplicant, so you should never touch a
> configuration file for wpa_supplicant yourself in this kind of
> setup.
>
> (You could of course stop using NetworkManager and configure
> wpa_supplicant manually, but I really wouldn't recommend that;
> I don't think wpa_supplicant is designed in a way that makes
> direct end-user usage easy - there's a reason why NetworkManager
> exists instead of desktop environments communicating directly
> with wpa_supplicant.)

Direct interaction with the supplicant is not easy? Mmm, probably a
sustainable view if the only objective is to point and click.

However, it is worth acknowledging that Debian has the most complete
integration of ifupdown with wpa_supplicant you will find. It also has
excellent documentation to help with explaining this integration. There
are some things Debian does so well that they are unsurpassable.

Users wanting a simple or complex supplicant setup could find dealing
with the organ grinder (rather than the monkey) a more satisfying
experience when managing wireless networks. Just in case you think you
cannot point and click when you have direct enduser control over the
supplicant, think again. There is wpa-gui.

--
Brian.