Re: {Debian (>=Jessie)} AND { MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, etc}

Richard Owlett:
> On 12/2/2016 4:21 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>>
>> Beware that this might slightly increase power usage / reduce battery
>> life. That's at least my observation from a couple of years ago.
>> Depenging on the hardware, an SD card can keep a bus alive that could be
>> put to sleep otherwise. But if I would have to guess this is not an
>> issue for your use case.
>
> No problem for medium term. It will sit on my desk next to my "regular"
> machine.

That's what I thought.

>>>   2. Can Debian itself reside on that medium?
>>>      I'm thinking in terms of changing look/feel/function/capabilities/...
>>>      of the machine by swapping media before "power up".
>>>      [The BIOS *DOES* have some capability to specify precedence of boot
>>> devices.]
>>
>> Debian doesn't really care, but you would have to test whether your BIOS
>> can really boot from SD cards.
>
> If it "looks" the same as a USB flash device, there should be no problem.

For Linux the bus doesn't really matter. But again, for your BIOS it
does. As far as I understand, that's hardware specific. Some card
readers are internally wired to USB which gives you a good chance to
boot from it. As far as I can see on the ThinkWiki
(http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R61 pointing to
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ricoh_R5C843), the R61 is different.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/Boot-T61p-from-SD-card/m-p/261121/highlight/true#M41072
looks like you are out of luck.

J.
--
If I could have anything in the world it would have to be more money.
[Agree]   [Disagree]