Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 12:19:09 AM Doug wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 09:57 AM, doark@mail.com wrote:
> > Beware of HP inkjets, HP recently had to change the code so that people
> > could install ink cartridges that were not HP's and no, refilling the old
> > ones did not work. So everyone had to have a firmware update.

I heard something different lately, that HP changed the drivers (at least
some), to, iirc, prevent people from using ink cartridges from other
manufacturers and to prevent people from refilling and reusing their old ink
cartridges.

Understanding this, I've made a note to myself to carefully avoid accidentally
updating the drivers in my HP 4 in 1 printer.  (I haven't yet emptied any
cartridges, so I don't yet have first hand experience with trying to refill and
reuse any...)

Did I misunderstand?