Desktop freeze

Hello,
I would like to report a bug I experienced in sid but I have no idea about what package could be involved.

I use Xfce, including its window manager, and Compton to add some effects.

Every few seconds everything on the screen freezes except for the mouse pointer, which can still be moved. Clicking and typing actually works,
however the effects of these actions are not displayed.
The screen can be unfrozen by switching to a login console then
switching back to X.

Any idea on where to look at to find out why this happens?
--
Gianluca