gdm3 greeter banner question

I am attempting to display a lengthy text warning banner, in the GUI, before the user logs in, while also having the display-user-list=false option set.

How do I do this? When you set the display-user-list=false option it appears to also disable the warning banner text display area, at login.

I have also attempted to change the login background (wallpaper?), but as far as I can determine, no such option exists in gdm3 and the only thing you can change is the login logo, which is just a tiny little thing on the login screen and inadequate for my purposes.

I am using Debian 8 (jessie)

Please advise