Re: Stretch/Sid not resuming from suspend

On April 20, 2016, I wrote:

Hello *,

I'm using Stretch/Sid amd64 and I update it every few days. Since about a month or so it fails to resume from suspend to RAM. It doesn't happen regularly, it fails about 50% of the times. When it doesn't resume, I get only a black screen in text mode with the blinking caret in the top left corner of the screen. No keyboard input is working. I'm using Xfce and I suspend always by hand using the menu. My kernel is 4.4.0-1-amd64 with nvidia legacy driver (340). I'm not sure but I seem to recall the problem started when my driver moved from nvidia to nvidia-legacy. Or, maybe, it started with some kernel update, but I don't know which one.

I'd try with the nouveau driver but it proved to be even less reliable than the nvidia, causing freezes also during normal use of the system. The hardware is a Intel Core I5 notebook (Dell Precision M4500).

What can I do to pin down the issue?

After a few months, updates, and new kernels, the problem is still there, but I've managed to identify the most common conditions when it happens and I can reproduce it. When I suspend the notebook while plugged into the mains and then I resume it unplugged (e.g. I unplug it while suspended) it's *almost* a sure bet it happens.

Does that shed any light?