Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On 11/20/2016 02:52 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sat 19 Nov 2016 at 16:38:20 -0500, Jape Person wrote:

On 11/19/2016 03:09 PM, Brian wrote:

Sorry to be awkward, but what does "it's" refer to?

Uh, I'm the awkward one here. That's why I'm asking for help.

Not at all. I've learned a thing or two from this thread. For example,
I hadn't appreciated the extent to which the laserjet multifunction
devices were dependent on the plugin, whereas the MFP inkjets are not
(for now).

Yes, I believe I saw statements on the hp site indicating that they intend to start supporting more and more devices, including new inkjet MFPs, with the driver-plugin model.

The plugin contains *.fw files and libraries. A firmware file is uploaded to
the printer when it is switched on. Quite what the libraries do I do not
know but my assumption is they are involved in this and the host-based
management of the printer. Enlightenment would be appreciated.

Let's not start with unreasonable expectations. The likelihood that I will
enlighten you in such a matter is vanishingly small.

Others are reading this thread too. :)

I didn't find any information this specific about the driver plugin. If you
can steer me toward the relevant information I would appreciate it. I read
information at all the links that seemed as though they could be pertinent
from the hplipopensource.com location.

The plugin can be downloaded from openprinting.org and its contents
examined. Or install it with hp-plugin and look at /usr/share/hplip
to see what you get. Delete the files by hand afterwards. Firmware
appears to be only for a few specific printers and it is the faxing,
scanning and printing libraries which are used for the majority (or
perhaps all) of multifunctionals. Closed source; we cannot tell.

I'll look at that. I had ASSumed that there was a different driver-plugin for each different model, so didn't even look at the direct download option.

So, are you saying that nothing within that driver plugin gets invoked by or
interacts with the host system? It's just some firmware that gets copied to
the printer and some libraries which reside on the host and which interact
with the printer. If that's the case, then my concern about the driver
plugin is a tempest in a teapot.

No, I am not saying that. I think hplip looks for and interacts with
the libraries if they are needed for a particular device. Last time I
set up a print queue (without having the printer) for a device which
needed a plugin, CUPS relayed an error message from the hpcups driver.
It is something I need to look into when I have the time.

I'd stick with your original concern.

Yup. I'm going to just slowly dog this thing until I've learned enough to suit me. Since I'm an old dog, slowly dogging means it'll take some time.

I did learn that the "pagewide" MFPs do not (at least so far) require the driver plugin. I found them listed under "other" in the supported devices database, so I didn't notice them at first.

I am not at all familiar with this technology. As I understand it, those things use a page-wide stationary printer head with over 40,000 nozzles to put pigment and dye on the paper. I think they said the print engine has no moving parts. Only the paper moves. One presumes they're not counting the parts the user has to REmove and REplace to keep them working.

8-)

The pagewide versions of the 477 series cost more than the laser versions, by quite a margin. But, if I can convince myself that the technology will be reliable and not terribly expensive to support, I might give it a shot.

It still would seem to beg the question as to why the system would be
designed this way. But I'm not a printer hardware designer, and I don't know
what requirements are placed on those guys by the production and delivery
schedules. Maybe it's just a workaround to help HP get the most up-to-date
stuff out the door in the most timely manner possible.

Dunno. It could be as simple as HP licensing software from elsewhere
for printing and scanning and not having the rights to open source it.
From their point of view re-inventing the wheel doesn't make sense.

For me, I'd take an HP laser multifunctional because I would want the
copying facility. For you. you may have to widen your search to other
vendors to get separate printing and scanning devices.

It depends, also, on how pragmatic a user is. HP could be seen as a
responsive, trustworthy and reliable company. The fact is that most
printer manufacturers have some element of non-free software as part
of their modern offerings at the inexpensive end of their product
line.

Yes. I was just a little appalled that my own lack of acumen wrt this driver model was about to have me putting something I didn't really want on my system.

At least HP has done a good job of providing a reliable one-stop-shopping process for Linux users who need printing support. Having the hplip package right there in the repository certainly makes life simpler for a lot of folks.

At any rate, I can probably fulfill my requirements my buying a little more
hardware than I had originally intended. And I appreciate the efforts you
and Henrique have made on my behalf.

If I should learn anything interesting from HP tech support I'll try to come
back with it.

Considering HP say they do not offer Linux support directly, you are
doing well.

Can't complain! I didn't talk with them until Friday, so don't expect to hear back until Monday. The tech I spoke with already made some suggestions as to directions we might try. He certainly indicated a willingness to work with me to find what I need. He had me send him a list of distributions and software packages I intend to use so that he could determine what driver support level I need.

I was impressed.

Thank you again for your help.

JP