Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016, Jape Person wrote:
> What about hplip? Doesn't inclusion of the hp-setup program in hplip sort of
> violate the spirit of having only FOSS in the main repository when executing

No, it doesn't violate the spirit.  HPLIP is FLOSS, including the
hp-setup program itself.  The binary blob is minor funcionality as far
as HPLIP usage is concerned (although it isn't minor functionality for
the unfortunate onwers of the subset of HP devices that require the
binary blob to work).

Now, if HPLIP was composed only of the hp-setup program, *and* hp-setup
was only good for downloading/interfacing to the binary blob in the
first place (as far as I recall, it does more than that), it would be
"contrib" material (instead of Debian main material).

That is not true, however.  So, HPLIP belongs in Debian main.  A package
in main cannot build packages for contrib or non-free (and vice-versa),
and it doesn't make sense to duplicate the entire HPLIP *source* package
just to have a neutered-by-patching hp-setup utility in main, and a
complete one in contrib.

> it will result in installation of a proprietary blob? I just ran it as a

Well, Debian is not in the business of neutering software to remove
support for binary blobs[1].  There are Linux distros that cather for
that market, though, such as Linux-Libre.

[1] We don't distribute such blobs in Debian main, but software in main
may make use of such blobs when available -- such as the Linux kernel.
And while the blobs would go in non-free if their license permits that
much, the software that downloads or uses it may go in contrib, non-free
or even Debian main, depending a _lot_ on the specific details.

> I've been pretty ill and not paying careful attention to the list for a long
> time now. has this already been discussed? If so, didn't find any pertinent
> threads.

Yes, it was.  Somewhat recently, too.  I don't recall the thread,
though.

> This seems to be a step backward in HP's technical support for open source
> software. I'm disappointed.

HP's printer division is nowadays very different from the one you might
know from a decade ago.  You might want to inform yourself better about
their recent attempts at ink cartridge lockdown, for example.

Basically, if an HP printer is not a high-end model that has a
software-driver-less network port that can take PDF/1A directly using
the IPP protocol natively, I wouldn't recommend it.  If it does, I'd
still recommend that you get yourself informed about its operational
costs (ink/toner, replacement fusers and periodic maintenance kit) first
-- but that is valid for any printer vendor.

> So, does anyone know of a laser MFP (or a separate laser printer and
> scanner) which I can hook up to my network (preferably wirelessly) and use
> in Debian testing without violating my planned avoidance of proprietary
> software and drivers?

I'd like to know that, too.  I need a new home color printer, my
10-year-old HP PhotoSmart (blobless) MFP has finally broken down and
good second-hand parts are not easy to find in Brazil :-(

--
  Henrique Holschuh