Re: MURPHY'S LAW RULES - was [Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific]

On Sun 20 Nov 2016 at 14:25:16 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 11/19/2016 12:51 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >I use fat16 and fat32 formatted USB flash drives for _EXACTLY_
> >*ONE* purpose.
> >It is to transfer data to/from a Windows machine.
> >There is NO [nor will there ever be] a network connection between
> >them.
> >
> >When I plug one into my Debian machine I want totally unfettered
> >read/write access.
> >[when logged in as root or *ANY* user ID]
> >

> >HOW?
> >{any one notice a tone of frustration ;/}
> >

> Just now, using the "Places" entry on MATE's menu bar I was able to:
>  1. mount the specific flash drive that triggered this 'plaint.
>  2. edit the *SPECIFIC* text file that Pluma would only open as "READ ONLY".
>     That had been "straw that broke the camel's back".

You are saying you have solved your problem? It no longer exists? It may
not have existed in the first place? You didn't know what you were doing?
Can we now get back to normal service?

Questions; questions. Feel free to ignore them.

> This has me wondering if the objectionable reaction was *before* OR *after*
> having run
>      gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false

You can wonder as much as you want. Nobody has access to the system you
are on. Wondering will not get anyone anywhere.

> For another project, I was already intending to create a custom preseed.cfg.
> That will allow me to do _functionally_ identical installs [only physical
> difference being the target partition of the installation procedure.].
>
> Is there a standard log file that will record *ALL* operator GUI *OR*
> command line actions *AND* the system's response?

journalctl?

> I've the time but am short on test procedure design skills.

You've got the time but have you got the inclination? (I feel I'm
quoting someone but haven't a clue who it is).

--
Brian.