Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On 11/19/2016 06:48 AM, Brian wrote:
You've probably seen

  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html

so can match up your requirement with what is on the market from HP. It
does appear to be limited but your choice could be widened by including
inkjet printers in the list.

Yes, thank you. That's the information that had me asking the questions. Almost all of the devices which do what I want them to do either a) require the driver plugin or b) are nearing end of support.

hplip is all free software. The plugin is not in Debian so the stuation
there is kosher. You choose to download it and can have hp-setup help
you if you wish. There is no way round having it for some printing or
scanning functions.

Okay, I can see that logic. My concern was that a test that I did last evening with the OfficeJet 6302 and hp-setup did (apparently) install the driver plugin, but did NOT inform me that proprietary software was being installed. (The HP site does say that there is a license document with which the user has to indicate agreement. I didn't see it -- maybe because I wasn't using the gui version? Or maybe because I was tired and hitting the Enter key too rapidly?

HP support the free software 100%. Just as the Linux kernel and Debian
supports free wireless drivers which require firmware.

Okay. Again, I think I see the reasoning, but I thought that the hp-setup / driver plugin was a "new" feature. I guess it isn't. I'm just out-of-date.

Thank you, Brian.